Melted wax candle warmers are a safer and more convenient way to add the scent of your favourite candle to your home. Although flameless, candle warmers heat scented wax using electric current to a small heating unit built into the device. Without an open flame, there is reduced risk for fire and less chance of a small child getting burned by one. Even though these are a much safer version of the old candles we are all familiar with, there are still some precautions we must use when operating one in our home as they are not completely hazard-free.
Being an electrical device, we need to follow some simple rules of care that we would with any other appliance, keeping in mind that a candle warmer does have a heating element. For starters, never operate any electrical device without understanding the manufacturer’s instructions. A quick read over the usage instructions that come with the candle warmer will help keep you and your family safe.
Next, never leave a candle warmer unattended. Turn it off or unplug it any time you leave the house. If you notice any damage to the cord, stop using the candle warmer immediately and this could cause a fire.
When melting wax in your candle warmer, be sure it is out of reach of children or pets. The melted wax and the candle warmer itself can get very hot and cause burns. Always make sure that the wax has hardened and the warmer is cool before removing used wax.
If your warmer smokes or gives off a burning smell, unplug it and discontinue use. There are a couple of reasons this could be happening. The warming element is overheating, or the type of wax you are using has a much lower melting point than the warmer was designed for.
As with any electrical device, keep the candle warmer away from all liquids. Even a grounded appliance may cause a nasty shock if you touch it with wet hands. If you do happen to spill something on your warmer, be sure to turn it off right away and unplug it. Do not use the warmer again until you are sure that it has dried completely.
Following these simple tips, you can enjoy your candle warmer without the risk of fire, burns or electrical shock while leaving your home smelling warm and inviting.